Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mikey

My cat died.  :-(

Life sometimes throws you a quick vicarious curve ball and this past week for me, was a full on strike to the heart. 
My emotions were tested. 
Tested to the point of tears, but nonetheless life goes on.

A few posts ago, I had written about my cat Mikey and how much I adore him.  Unfortunately he passed away suddenly on July 17th, from an attack by an intruding neighbor's dog.  Not the way I had hoped he would "go", as I wished he would have live a few more years and passed away naturally.
Happily. 
Peacefully. 

Its funny in that moment when you realize how glad you are that you recently took some images of that loved one, even though he was... (yes), just a cat.

I have often photographed large families and later been informed how a member has "passed on".... and how thankful they were to have family photos taken.  
(Its a realistic job sometimes, being a photographer) 
You're being hired to...
...in a sense, 
photograph something or someone that will ultimately end up leaving us. 
Yet still,  
I feel privileged having that duty to take photos.

So...(yes), he was just a cat. 
My Mikey was just a simple feline.
Actually 15 years ago,  he was just a little 4 week old farm kitten, abandoned by his mother.  You could fit him in the palm of your hand.  He gave so much back to us, what we gave to him to survive: 
Nothing but love, happiness and affection. 
I'm sad it has come to an end.

(Yes)...he was just a cat and only a true cat lover would understand what its like.  But its like losing anything you adore. 
It's sad.
It sucks.
It really sucks. Yet it makes you realize as a person, you do  have a genuine heart to accept a four legged creature.  It makes you realize you have so many amazing people around for support. It makes you realize that life goes on.

RIP Michael Landrie (aka Mikey).
You will also be missed by all four legged friends who were close to you: Your tabby cuddle buddy Willy (cat), your not so friendly calico rival Sophie (cat), Issabelle (dog), Lucy (dog), and last but not least... Pal (the horse). 

















1 comment:

Reannan Ross said...

so sad... we lost a dog the same way. They'll never be forgotten.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...